Back and Neck Pain Conditions
Call Us: (703) 520-1031 or use the form below to send us your contacts.
Aging can lead to the development of a variety of medical conditions, and degenerative disc…
Discogenic back pain is a condition in which the discs in the spine deteriorate, producing…
Facet syndrome is a condition characterized by disorder of facet joints. Usually, it is accompanied by lumbar pain.
A herniated disc is a condition that affects the back. It can cause pain, numbness, or tingling down one or both legs.
Joint Arthritis describes a group of conditions that cause inflammation of the joints. It can affect one joint or several joints.
Metabolic Bone Conditions (MBD) is a general term that includes a host of diseases and…
Most people experience at least one muscle strain in their lifetime. Fortunately, most muscle strains…
Myelopathy is the name of a disorder resulting from compression of the spinal cord. It…
Myofascial pain is a chronic condition characterized by pain in the soft tissue surrounding the muscles.
Anyone can develop the disease called osteoporosis. The National Osteoporosis Foundation statistics indicate it is…
When there is an occurrence, which causes pain in the neck, shoulders, arm or upper…
Patients often undergo different types of surgery on their spine to correct various anatomical abnormality…
The sacroiliac joint (or SI Joint) covers the sacrum with the pelvis and is adjacent to the bottom of the spine.
Kyphosis is a forward rounding of the back and is a spinal disease that can…
Scoliosis is a curve in the spine that is abnormal. It occurs most often during…
What is Osteoarthritis of the Spine? As people age, the cartilage in the spine wears…
Some of the most complex structures in the body are in the back and neck, involving many small bones in the spine, large and small muscles, ligaments, tendons and nerves. The spine offers the right amount of rigidity and support for standing and performing other activities, while facet joints enable an amazing amount of flexibility. When the back or neck experiences any discomfort or is painful, it makes it difficult to complete even simple tasks.
Often, the first symptom indicating something is wrong is pain. Pain is classified by its intensity (mild, moderate, severe) and by its duration. Typical symptoms of neck pain conditions include:
- Muscle stiffness, making it difficult to move the neck and head
- Shooting pain that can run down the spine or into the shoulders and arms
- Dull aching pain in the neck
- Headaches, especially if frequent or chronic
- Tingling in the neck area
- Numbness in the neck area
Common symptoms of back pain conditions include:
- Some degree of pain that can occur in one area, like the lower back or neck, or over a large area
- Stiffness anywhere along the spine or in the back muscles
- Numbness in one or both legs
- Tingling above and below the knee
- Aching in the lower back after certain activities, like sitting at a desk for hours or standing in a line for a long period of time
- Sharp pain that begins in the lower back and runs into the buttocks and down the back of the legs and into to the calf and possibly the toes
- Loss of bowel or bladder control combined with weakness in both legs
- Pain that gets worse while sleeping
When to See a Doctor?
Sometimes, people hesitate to see a doctor in the hope the pain will go away. However, there are situations where seeing a physician should not be delayed. It is important to see a physician when:
- Pain lasts more than 3 weeks;
- Pain is debilitating and prevents critical activities;
- Loss of bowel and bladder control occurs and legs experience weakness;
- Pain starts slowly but gets progressively worse;
- Pain is severe;
- Pain is accompanied by other symptoms like unexplained weight loss or swelling on the back;
- Pain is accompanied by fever;
- Pain is the result of an accident or injury.
Consult a Physician
A painful back condition or any pain in the neck should be taken seriously. Though the spine plays an important role in most movements, it is also subject to numerous medical issues because of its structure. There is no reason to live with pain when a physician can help.
Physician at SAPNA: Spine and Pain Clinic of North America Dr. Majid Ghauri is one of a few physicians in Fairfax who has superior training in identifying back and neck pain and performing pain treatments to comfort your life.
Find out more about other pain conditions: